Thursday, December 8, 2011

A Survivor's Story.....

I don't mean to burst your bubble, this isn't about surviving something horrific or anything like that. Not even about battling cancer, but it's something I know that people can relate to.  I've been thinking a lot about the past two years, how quickly they've gone by and everything that has happened....


This time, almost exactly 2 years ago, I remember being so excited for a homecoming. That of my boyfriend who I hadn't even seen in YEARS. Coming home from North Carolina after engineer school for the Marines. Talk about being a NERVOUS WRECK! Him being home was amazing, but short-lived because he had to head off to Japan. Let's fast forward a bit to this time last year.... Another homecoming, this one much more dramatic than the last, because I had survived a 7 month deployment to Afghanistan. My now fiance was home safely! Again, another short lived trip home and he was back to Japan. Now it's the present, and I am 9 days away from my soon to be husband coming home for good.


You never know what you are capable of doing until you actually do it. i would have never thought I would be this good at a long distance relationship. Two years in Japan, and a tour to Afghanistan have not been the easiest to overcome. Those of you reading who have been through much, much more than this, I commend you. But that fact is, we have all survived being away from our loved ones and it's a challenge that we all had to face at some point. Being a military spouse is so not easy and it certainly is not for everyone. It takes more courage than I ever thought I had, and I can't believe I SURVIVED.


Chances are, this won't be the last time I am away from him, but for now I made it through the longest time being away from someone I had ever had to deal with. I did it because I love my fiance, and no it's not easy to do it, but I do and that's what matters. Don't come up to me and tell me you know how it is unless you are a fellow military spouse, cause you really don't. And don't ask me how I can do it, because the real question is HOW COULD I NOT?

Joshua Shakeshaft, I love you so much! 12/21/11

1 comment:

  1. It's true! You never know what you are capable of doing until you actually, physically do it. Had you asked me over 3 years ago if I could go through life without my husband, I would have told you hell no. It has been one hell of a journey, that I can assure you. You will surprise yourself at what you are capable of doing!

    ReplyDelete